A new update has been released for Unturned on September 3rd, 2021! This release fixes quite a few bugs, but also makes changes to the Barricade and Structure system. There is now pooling for barricades and structures, and the game has accepted some curated workshop skins. You will find some other minor changes and some bug squashing in the official patch notes below.
Unturned September 3rd Patch Notes
- Pooling (recycling) for barricades and structures to improve multiplayer performance.
- Accepted several curated workshop skins.
- Replaced profanity filter with Steam text filter for performance reasons. The old naive filter can be re-enabled with the “-NoSteamTextFiltering” command-line flag.
- Improved clothing CPU and RAM usage in game. Previously the textures were combined on the CPU rather than a shader. Custom clothing can now disable the CPU readable flag, and is no longer limited to 128×128.
- Fixed fishing catch timer was not getting randomized.
- Fixed grid snapping when dragging on a plane.
- Fixed using vehicle exit position when saving passenger position.
- Fixed slight discoloration on plush item face.
- Fixed include Level.hierarchy file in level hash.
Barricade and Structure Changes
This update expands on the base-building optimizations from the 188.8.131.52 update by pooling barricades/structures that have been previously loaded. Rather than destroying these items when an area is unloaded they are now recycled (pooled) and reused in the next loaded area. Many changes and optimizations were made to the code for each barricade type (e.g., generators, mannequins, signs) in order to take advantage of this performance improvement that was added, so there will probably be some unusual bugs to track down.
Modded barricades/structures with custom logic may need editing before they become compatible with pooling. To work around this, pooling can be disabled per-item by adding the line “Eligible_For_Pooling false” to their .dat file.
Read about the motivations and priorities behind this rewrite here.
Those are all of the bug fixes, changes, and various updates made in the September 3rd patch for Unturned! If you’re curious about other updates for a variety of games, be sure to check out the Patch Notes section of our website.